About Me

My photo
31. Married to the best dude on earth. Obsessed with my English Bulldog Kreacher. I'm trying to not suck.

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

I don't know where I'm goin' - but I sure know where I've been...

Whitesnake fans?  Anyone? Anyone?

Opening:
So this is the awkward, typically over-verbose, and obligatory first post where I attempt to catch you up on the past 31 years so that you can get a sense of who I am, and why I thought it was necessary to chronicle the boring ins-and-outs of my daily struggles and accomplishments publicly (this is all under the assumption that I will have "a" reader).  Well lucky for you (yes, I will continue to address my imaginary reader) I'm gonna try to keep it short and sweet - like a cupcake.

The Past 31 Years in a Paragraph:
I've spent most of my life in northern New Jersey.  I'm the youngest of three.  My parents are nuts (in the funniest way possible). I have amazing friends, some of which I've known since Kindergarten. I was voted class flirt in grammar school and class clown in high school - this probably doesn't surprise you if you know me. I was always smart, but incredibly lazy.  I never wanted to do anything that I wasn't amazing at, so I stuck to reading, making people laugh, and on occasion, dancing. I had some rough times, as people often do.  I dabbled in this and that. I got fat and then - not so fat (the wrong way). I graduated high school and started college. I majored in sleeping.  I got super fat. I dropped out of college. I got a really cool job (Pleasurable Piercings). I got skinny (the wrong way). I left my really cool job for corporate america. I turned 21. I was diagnosed with PCOS. I dated a major asshole. I started college again. I got fat again. I dumped the loser. I started dating my now husband (<3sigh<3). We bought a house in Central Jersey, got a beautiful pup, and got married.  Central Jersey did not agree with me. I got depressed.  I became addicted to fast food and Law and Order: SVU*. I graduated college. I got tremendously fat. We sold our house and moved back to North Jersey. I used every ounce of "willpower" I could muster to get off of the couch and start eating better. I lost 60 pounds. We moved again.I got a new job. I joined CrossFit. <end diatribe/get awesome>

What is This Blog Even About, Jill?
It's been one-and-a-half years since I made the decision to get healthy, lose weight (for good), and kick the shit out of my PCOS. It's been two months since I joined CrossFit.  I had thought about starting this blog to coincide with my first CrossFit class, but being a relatively sedentary individual for most of my life, I needed to get past my fears, nervousness, weakness, embarrassment, etc., and really focus on determining whether or not I could truly commit.

I got through the first leg virtually unharmed (despite a few low blows to my ego).  I recently upped my membership to a 5 times a week schedule. I am having to push myself physically and mentally farther everytime I walk into class.  I'm having to resign myself to the fact that I'm not strong or fast, but understanding that, for the first time, it's not a reason to quit. I'm having to swallow my pride and modify or scale my movements, but I'm giving it 100% everytime the clock starts.

I feel like for the first time, I'm learning how to take control of life - really grab it by the balls, ya know?  CrossFit is teaching me about discipline, perseverance, and humility.  I watch the athletes who train along side of me, and instead of filling me with feelings of intimidation or inferiority, they fuel this new fire started deep inside that just wants me to kick a little ass. 

I wanted to start this blog to track my progress, and maybe give some insight to others who think they are too fat, lazy, weak, uncoordinated, sick, unhealthy, slow, FILL IN THE BLANK to get on the road to better health/overall well-being. This especially applies to those struggling with PCOS who are under the impression that there is no way to turn their situations around.  My progress stunned my endocrinoligist last year, and I'm hoping I can make her jaw drop a little further at my next appointment.Yes, unfortunately, in most cases, women suffering from PCOS have to work twice as hard as a normal human to maintain health, but in the end, it's worth it, no?

I've got a lot of work to but I'm all in suckas.  Wanna watch me do work, son?  Read my blog.

*For the record, Law and Order: SVU is super amazing.  In no way do I regret the hours of love and dedication I paid to that tittilating treasure of a crime drama.

2 comments:

  1. Hey there mama....I just wanted to send my love and support on your blog.
    You will get where you want to be, I know this and for the first time it think you do to. See you at the gym.

    -p

    ReplyDelete