About Me

My photo
31. Married to the best dude on earth. Obsessed with my English Bulldog Kreacher. I'm trying to not suck.

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

I've Fallen, and I Can't Get Up!

Were you wondering where I've been?  I didn't think so.I'm certainly going to tell you though. 

Brandon and I returned from a long weekend in Chicago during the wee hours of the morning.  I had initially hoped that I would come back from this trip well-rested and ready to thrive at the gym, but unfortunately, my body decided otherwise...

We had a great time on Saturday and Sunday, we checked out Navy Pier and ate some of the most delicious food Chicago has to offer.  I also had a snow cone made out of vodka - SAY WHAT?!?!  We clocked about 15 miles of walking AND did a mini-hotel-room-WOD.  I was really feeling like a responsible vacationer who had fully repented for eating a Chicago-style hot dog without shame, but then, Monday morning came (Dun, Dun, Dun).  Competition fishing was on (again), I was boppin' around the hotel room deciding what to wear for my power shopping trip, when WHAM!  Don't cha know I threw my back out while reachin' down to hop into my underoos?  I wish I got hurt in a less geriatric manner, but that's the awful truth, and this wouldn't be an effective blog if I lied to you!

So now, I'm laid up on the couch, with a heating pad and a bag of frozen brussel sprouts googling "Can I WOD with back pain?"  In the past, I would have taken this as an easy excuse to freeze my gym membership for 6 to 9 months to ensure a full recovery, but that's not who I am anymore. 

Now, I'm bummed that I can't kick the shit out of tonight's WOD (2K row, 200 double under jump ropes, and a max deadlift).  I refuse to get too comfortable on this couch.  I'm going to stretch, pop Aleve and move around until WOD time.  I'm going to show up early and talk to the coach.  If I'm cleared to do a modified WOD, great!  If I can't (and coach knows best) I'll cheerlead.  The only thing I don't want to do is stay home.

Short-Term Goal Update:
While being crippled sure is a temporary downer, I do have good news to report!  At the last WOD, I officially switched from the rings to band assisted pull-ups/chin-ups. This particular WOD (lovingly referred to as the Heavy Angie) included 50 pull-ups/chin-ups.  It sure took a while to knock those suckers out, but I did it!

Coming Soon:
It's super awesome that a bunch of you have been reading this thing. You've had a bunch of great questions that I hope to address in the next few posts.  Until then, spanks for reading, and continue to believe in the healing power of unicorns...

2 comments:

  1. I don't want any interest in your life to be confused with any desire to change my lovingly sedintary life, but two things.

    I know what band assisted chinups/pullups entail, but what are rings.

    I think Paul H. is one of the owners of Guerilla Fitness (or whatever the name of your gym is. I'm reading this, I didn't say I was paying attention.) If so he was also my first manager at Hot Topic in Willowbrook. I would like you to tell him that he's a poop head, and that I hope he's doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Raymundo - No pressure. I will allow you to continue to read without moving a muscle. "Rings" are olympic rings that are setup much lower to the ground. Depending on what level of strength you have, you grab the rings and lower yourself down with your legs bent or straight until your supported by the weight of your arms, and then you pull yourself up. That is one of the modifications for pull-ups. I have heard of this Paul H. however, I have not had the pleasure of meeting him as I believe he is there in the AM. I don't know if he is an owner but I'm pretty sure he is a coach. If I ever come upon him, I will relay to him this message of yours. xoxo

    ReplyDelete